Monday, March 24, 2014

Magic Monday: Limited (BotG/Th/Th) Deck Tech G/R Monsters

What a fine day to start into a new week. A new week of hobby related goodness. Could there be anything better? Probably not but let me try it anyway with the new, fresh, hot off the press Magic Monday! Today I will be showcasing my latest Magic: The Gathering draft (BotG/Th/Th) deck from Friday the 14th of March 2014. I took second place in the swiss style tournament and got to take home a couple of price boosters. Yay! :)

In my first pack, I didn't really get anything good so I decided to draft the Pheres-Band Tromper and quickly started down the road of a G/R monstersish kinda deck. I picked some fattys, got some premium limited burn in Fated Conflagration and was very lucky to get passed a couple of very important cards for my deck like Hammer of Purphoros and Mistcutter Hydra. I didn't get a single Voyaging Satyr or any other ramping creature which kinda sucked but it worked out quite well in the end anyways.


Below is the decklist I used. Note that I didn't play a single spell twice and that's mainly because I just didn't. :) I'm not the biggest Magic nerd out there and since it did work out, all is well on the plane of Theros.

8 Mountains
11 Forests

1 Sedge Scorpion
1 Nyxborn Rollicker

1 Akroan Crusader

1 Ordeal of Nylea
1 Mistcutter Hydra
1 Leafcrown Dryad
1 Rise to the Challenge
1 Deathbellow Raider

1 Shredding Winds
1 Hammer of Purphoros
1 Bolt of Keranos

1 Pheres-Band Tromper
1 Staunch-Hearted Warrior
1 Fanatic of Mogis
1 Lightning Volley
1 Fated Conflagration

1 Nessian Asp
1 Nessian Demolok
1 Pharagax Giant
1 Rage of Purphoros

1 Nemesis of Mortals

The MVP of the afternoon was definitely the Mistcutter Hydra. With its haste, pro blue and can't be countered rules it is already amazing but I got it out as a 5/5 and in another game as a 6/6 which ended both games pretty quickly. The Hydra was closely followed by the Hammer of Purphoros and Fated Conflagration. The Lightning Volley did jack shit, so I should have boarded it out but I just couldn't be bothered. A couple of my opponents were really surprised by the Shredding winds in the mainboard but let me tell you it had its uses!



To anyone who is new to Magic: The Gathering or has never tried it and just would like to, I can highly recommend going to your local gaming store and participating in the Friday Night Magic. It's a lot of fun and always remember that's what it's all about!

Anyway I'll see you next week for another Magic Monday!

J.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment